Submitting a Photograph
Interested in submitting your image to Botany Photo of the Day? These are the two preferred options:
- via Flickr – if you are a Flickr member, you can join the UBCBG Botany Photo of the Day Group and add your photographs to the pool
- via the UBC Botanical Garden Forums – if you are a forums member, you can submit your images on the Botany Photo of the Day Submissions forum
Email submissions to Daniel Mosquin are also accepted, but due to the volume of emails received by staff and the difficulty in tracking down email addresses when image use requests are submitted from outside sources, it is not a preferred option.
By submitting a photograph to the University of British Columbia Botanical Garden and Centre for Plant Research through Flickr, the UBC Botanical Garden Forums or email, you are:
- guaranteeing that you are the copyright holder of the image or that you have license to submit the photograph in this manner
- and, granting the University of British Columbia Botanical Garden and Centre for Plant Research a limited right to use the photograph or photographs for the sole purpose of educational content on the Botany Photo of the Day weblog
Photograph Use and Attributions
Reader-submitted photographs and text are copyright by their respective photographers, so permission must be sought from the photographer for any use of those images or text.
While photographs and text from researchers and staff at UBC Botanical Garden are copyright the researchers and staff and/or the University of British Columbia Botanical Garden and Centre for Plant Research, the images and text are licensed for non-commercial use with attribution under a Creative Commons License.
Attribution of UBC Botanical Garden and Centre for Plant Research images should preferentially credit UBC Botanical Garden and the website, www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca. If you have the room to expand the credit, please mention the photographer and / or the full name of the institution, UBC Botanical Garden and Centre for Plant Research.
Dropping us a note about how and where you are using the images is also appreciated, but not required for use.
As Botany Photo of the Day includes a collection of photographs from many contributors, it is impossible to track image metadata (what camera was used?, what lens did you use?) for every photograph, so this information is not supplied with the entries.
For the photographs by Botany Photo of the Day’s principal editor, Daniel Mosquin, some combination of the following may have been used:
- Canon EOS 5D MkIII, Canon EOS 5D, Canon EOS 20D, Canon EOS Digital Rebel 300D (later modified to infrared) or Canon G9
- EF 200mm f/2.8 L II USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, EF 135mm f/2.0 L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8 MKII, EF 17-40mm f/4L, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF-S 18-55/3.5-5.6 Lens