Elizabeth asked in the comments yesterday if we had a snow shower weekend locally. Yes, a little bit on Friday and Saturday, but I didn’t really notice. I had purchased a bouquet on Friday afternoon, partly for the reason that the forecast suggested a return to wintery conditions (which didn’t really come to pass) so I would instead spend time inside learning how to use my off-camera flash unit. These are a couple of the results of that exercise. I’ve primarily categorized these photographs as “botanical art”, as I’ve used much more digital manipulation than I normally would and don’t consider these images documentarian. As to what sort of manipulation, for those interested, I greatly increased the midtones using curves on both images. In the second image, I also burned a small portion of the flower to locally decrease the exposure.
I think these calla lilies are the cultivar ‘Mango’. I called the florist yesterday, and the person answering the phone thought the name was ‘Margo’ (a non-existent cultivar, from what I can tell), so I concluded ‘Mango’ instead (and somewhat confirmed by the Zantedeschia photographs on the Pacific Bulb Society Wiki). Another point of evidence is the many commercial recommendations for its use as a cut flower in a search for “Zantedeschia ‘Mango’ cut flower“.
Certainly, one of the elements that attracted me to this particular bouquet were the orange tones (the bouquet contains orange lilies and orange gerberas, as well). The Production and Landscape Horticulture program at Massey University in New Zealand has done some research into Zantedeschia pigmentation. As you might expect from a cultivar that is mainly orange with patches of red, it is concluded that ‘Mango’ contains a discontinuous layer of anthocyanins on a base of carotenoids.