Something a bit different today – a link roundup instead of writing:
- from the University of Illinois Extension, a great set of links: Pumpkin History, Pumpkin Facts, Pumpkin Varieties and the saliva-inducing Pumpkin Recipes
- The World’s Largest Fruit: A Squash Or A Pumpkin? from Wayne Armstrong – this article is a few years old, since a new record was set this year…
- Giant Pumpkins includes news on this year’s record-holder as well as a List of Previous Record Pumpkins. I understand this hobby requires you to spend hours every day with a pumpkin.
- Pumpkin and Hallowe’en via Wikipedia
- The Great Glass Pumpkin Patch from the MIT Glass Lab (includes how to make a glass pumpkin and an image gallery)
- Resources for Home Preserving Pumpkins from the US National Center for Home Food Preservation at the University of Georgia
- the Society of Physics Students at the University of California Chico’s Annual Pumpkin Drop (Pumpkin Drop 2005 has video!)
Two asides: 1) I haven’t been able to identify today’s pumpkin, but I might update the name and this entry after I talk with Tony Maniezzo (who tends the Food Garden); and 2) If you’re wondering what the design is, it’s a hummingbird and a stylized flower.
Updated October 31 at 1:34 PM local time: After talking with Tony, I believe this is the cultivar ‘Schooltime’.